Wednesday, June 15, 2011

One Thing

Trust30 Day 15
Do your work, and I shall know you. Do your work, and you shall reinforce yourself. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Take a moment, step back from your concerns, and focus on one thing…
I have two incredible kids. This isn't just the typical fatherhood bias either. I've known a lot of people in my time, and these two are beyond description. I thank God that He put them in my life. I'd love to take the credit for how wonderful they are, but I'm wise enough to know that I can't. It's God's hand that has shaped them into fine young men.

For my "one shot," I abandoned things like becoming a mutli-millionaire, owning an exotic car, and many professional achievements long ago. I've discovered that the impact I would like to leave on the world is through the people I meet. Love God, love others.

My two sons are first and foremost on my list. Being a father to them, helping to shape them into men, is an art form. Staying involved but giving them room to grow. Guiding their interests without forcing them into mine. Teaching them to love God without teaching them to hate church. Without brainwashing. Encouraging their questions. Always taking time to listen, respecting them as the people that they are. Delighting in their interests. Being proud of them and loving them, no matter what.
So where does it stop? If I've been blessed with these two...if I feel that the most significant thing I've done in life is raising these two...doesn't it make sense to have more?

I used to fear that adding another to the mix would upset the chemistry. It'd be harmful to the two that I already have and love so much. I also fear that I'm too old. I'm very good at calculating how old I'd be when the next one made it out of high school. I can think of a million more reasons not to dream of this. But then there's the love.

The love. Sweetie and I had a conversation years ago about this. That is one thing we feel we do well. And it's what is missing from the lives of so many kids. If God gave us this capacity for love, shouldn't we use it? We know we have enough love for more. We know we have a big enough God for more. Isn't that the work that I do? That's what fills me, that's what brings me to life.

No comments: