Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Enthusiasm

Trust 30 : Day 22 (prompt by Mars Dorian)

Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” is a great line from Emerson. If there’s no enthusiasm in what you do, it won’t be remarkable and certainly won’t connect with people on an emotional basis. But, if you put that magic energy into all of your work, you can create something that touches people on a deeper level. How can you bring MORE enthusiasm into your work? What do you have to think or believe about your work to be totally excited about it? Answer it now.
Once again I risk falling into the realm of cliche, which I typically try to avoid, but nothing creates more enthusiasm for me than following God's will. I realize this makes no sense to a lot of people. It's just...I've had my own hopes and dreams for most of my life and they all pale in comparison to what I've seen God do in the past few years.

I find that this naturally touches people on a deeper level as it grows. Lives are transformed, relationships reconciled, and the past is overcome. The energy and enthusiasm generated from following God's will cascades from more to more as it is experienced. It does have enemies, though.

The first is nostalgia. By this I mean clinging to what God has done instead of what He has yet to do. Many people have a profound spiritual experience and then spend the rest of their lives resting on it. It's not unlike an athlete that throws a perfect game in high school and spends the rest of his life reliving that same memory. It was an incredible accomplishment, but it's causing the present to stagnate and the future to die. It's important always be looking forward with eager anticipation to what God has planned for us next. As long as we're breathing there is more for us to do.

The second is fear of abandonment. Even though I know God has done tremendous things for me and through me, I fear that He is finished with me. This anxiety causes me to doubt the calling I hear. It undermines the work that is left to be done.

The third is fear of the unknown. That is, we fear what God has planned for us next. This is the "what if" game. What if God wants me to sell my house? What if He wants me to move to another country? What if He wants me to quit my job and live as a homeless person? I'm comforable with what God has done in my so far because I know how it has turned out. Sometimes it's tempting to stop seeking His will because we don't want to turn into one of "those people." You might know the type...totally sold out to Christ like nothing on this earth really matters.  Weird.

So, what do I need to think or believe about my work to be totally excited about it? I need to believe that God put me here for a reason. That through Him the purpose will be revealed. When it's time to move on, He will make it abundantly clear.

No comments: