Sunday, June 5, 2011

Preparing To Live vs. Coming Alive

Life wastes itself while we are preparing to live. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you had one week left to live, would you still be doing what you’re doing now? In what areas of your life are you preparing to live? Take them off your To Do list and add them to a To Stop list. Resolve to only do what makes you come alive.
Bonus: How can your goals improve the present and not keep you in a perpetual “always something better” spiral?
This may sound crazy but I've been through this exercise a few times.  I've applied it to my life.  I can't claim to have applied it perfectly, but a big part of my life is choosing to live deliberately.  That's why the kids don't play soccer.  That's why we don't have a million TV channels.  That's why, as a family, we chose to build relationships instead of seeking escapes from life.
The first time the writing bug hit me hard was right after my first son was born.  A big part of this was realizing that the hectic pace of life that I was already on was not the kind of life I wanted to live and wasn't what I wanted for my kids.  I looked at those around me that were on the same path and I realized I longed for something different.  "More stuff" wasn't the answer.  A bigger house or bigger paycheck wasn't going to bring happiness and the pursuit was killing me.  I was working for a hot company in a hot industry...the sky was the limit.  And I walked away.  Not in the sensible "I got a better job so I'm outta here" kind of way.  I simply walked away.  Sold the house and moved 250 miles north (back home).  Worked a few odd jobs and did a lot of manual labor while pretending to work on a novel.  Discovered I didn't have the self discipline to write professionally.
Returning to the workforce had its challenges, but it was done deliberately as well (if not quickly).  With the work I've done since then, I've been able to find a purpose to what I do.  I've been challenged and I've been able to develop some incredible relationships with people.  But even now, with my "dream job" in hand, I realize that this is part of a process.  I'm not working so that I can have more stuff, a shinier car, or a bigger house.  This job does not define me...it is a means, but that doesn't mean it's unnecessary.  For me to thrive at it I still need it to be full of significance, but I recognize now that what I do from 8 to 5 (or since I'm an IT Security guy it could actually include more than that) is possibly the least important part of my life.
So, if I had one week to live what would I stop doing?  Well, I wouldn't go to work...not because I dislike my job.  I've just got some vacation time coming and would spend my last week with friends and family as much as possible.  I'd actually volunteer some...the brief times I've spent with the homeless and hungry has been life altering and significant.  Yes, there are a few relationships that I'd try to improve/reconcile by openly sharing my heart.  I'd spend a lot of time strumming and singing, those times have always been so special.  I'd continue to pursue God until my dying breath.
And I'd write.  I have a couple of writing projects bouncing around in my head that I would like to leave to my kids.  I don't write to become rich or famous, I write because I must write.  I feel like my writing is raw and that I need a lot more practice.  I wouldn't get that in a week.  But to take this #Trust30 exercise and continue it will help me grow.  Pray that I get these projects out before my last seven days.

The truth is, and maybe it's the point of this exercise, but most of us never know when our last 7 will be.  It is likely that there are people out there tonight diligently working on their day 6 writing project that will not see day 7.  Life is all too brief to spend much time preparing to live.  Don't waste your life.  Just live.   And live deliberately.

No comments: