Sunday, June 12, 2011

Surprise!

Trust30 : Day 13
I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, if we follow the truth, it will bring us out safe at last. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Think of a time when you didn’t think you were capable of doing something, but then surprised yourself.  How will you surprise yourself this week?
So much about my transformation has been surprising. Astounding, even. Actually, it's been beyond belief. An outright miracle. For example, in a few short years I've gone from being a life-long, die-hard atheist to being a Sunday School teacher developing my own curriculum...specializing in life change, authenticity, and reaching those that are hurting. And I know it's just the beginning.
Another example...I didn't think I could ever sing and play guitar. My entire life I rarely sang in private, much less in public. Yet when the time came, I stepped into the role of band leader. Not only did I sing and play a couple of times a week for a year, but arranged the set lists and coached the other band members along. It was unbelievable. And surprising. 
The common denominator in every surprise has been a strong trust in God. When I've tried to force things along they just don't work out. When I trust Him amazing things happen. This week I will surprise myself. He will surprise me. I will find a way to lean more fully into God for the things that are unresolved in my life. I will trust Him to give me the courage and the words to do what is right as well as what is necessary. He will use my willingness to make a difference this week. 

No comments: