Monday, November 7, 2011

Why I won't invite you to church


I am a Christian. I believe in Heaven and I believe in Hell. I believe that Heaven is an incredible place...a place where there is no sorrow, no tears, and no pain. I believe Hell is a place of torment and isolation, forever separated from joy, love, and God. I also believe that there is one path to Heaven...by accepting the gift of life that Jesus Christ, the son of God, died to give us.

But I'm not going to invite you to church.

It isn't that I hate you and want you to go to hell. It isn't that my church has something wrong with it. I'm not embarrassed about my faith or my church.

I believe that you matter to God. If you matter to God, you matter to me. God sent His only son to redeem humanity, to reconcile this lost world back to Him. But just because you matter to God doesn't mean you go to Heaven. The all mighty and all powerfull God has chosen to give us all free will. He allows us to chose where we spend eternity. We don't all get in.

So if I don't hate you, but I actually love you deeply and want to see you in heaven, why don't I invite you to church? Simple. Because church can't save you. You can attend church every day of your life, attend seminary, and even pastor a church and still not make it. Only Jesus can save you. That's all, nothing else. I don't want to invite you to church, I want to introduce you to Jesus.

No comments: